Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lord of the Dumb Ass Ring

2007 was a really crap year for movies. Apart from '300' and 'The Transformers Movie', the rest were somewhat forgettable and did not live up to expectation. Even with the plethora of pirated DVDs on offer here, I find myself uninspired to purchase new movies, even at these rediculously low prices. So, in my boredom, I recently completed watching the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Over 3 days mind you, I'm not crazy enough to watch it back to back, that is a 10 hour ordeal! Now this brings me to my post.

After watching it again, I have one question. Why the hell didn't Gandalf the all knowing git, simply get the damn giant Eagles to fly Frodo to the mountain of Mordor to begin with? Or for that matter, fly HIMSELF to the mountain! I see no reason to drag these four borderline-gay-Hobbits through hell and back, when all Gandalf had to do was to carry the Ring himself to mountain and destroy it. In 'The Two Towers' Gandalf had the power to summon the Eagles to his rescue (via the help from a Butterfly don't forget). So he could have easily called for them at the meeting of the Fellowship at the start of the first movie. Total time? One hour at the most, Sauron and his massive army..... dead. Problem solved.


If you argue that Gandalf would not be able to withstand the Ring's evil pull, I say, he sure didn't have a problem with the Saruman magic-eye-orb thing that he simply covered with a towel. In any case don't tell me he can't resist the Ring for one hour of flying time? He doesn't have to wear it round his neck.. just wrap it up in his towel. Done.

If you argue that the evil flying Nazgol will stop the Eagles, I say, it was the Eagles that came to the rescue to kill them at the end of 'Return of the King'. Moreover, with Gandalf riding the Eagle, his magic staff would emit that blinding light that the Nazgol is afraid off (as seen in 'Return of the King' also). So fly in, drop ring in lava, go home and celebrate.

Instead, 10 hours of movie, Frodo almost killing himself, Golumn the nut, mountains, trolls, massive battles, and lets not forget the fact that it took Frodo and pals 12 months to go and come home. Poor bastards.

I'm only writing as I feel kind of cheated in a way, because even the author, after all the hardship indured to destroy the ring, J.R.R Tolkien then simply wrote, "...and Gandalf rescued Frodo and Sam from the mountain with the help of the Eagles", which to me, was him being fed-up and just wanted to wrap up his book after writing pages and pages of shit.

14 comments:

Sid said...

wa.... never thought of that la.

Unknown said...

Heh...cant wait for the Harry Porter marathon....They have five movies and two on the way....hahaha i dare u..

Anonymous said...

by george you may have just hit the nail on the head. my man. let us all ponder on that.

Anonymous said...

u know.. it's just the 'whatkindofshitareyoufeedingme' syndrome u get after u finish a movie.it'll go away.get lotsa warm water.and stay off the sambal ikan bilis

Anonymous said...

Wow...you know...you & me gotta talk real soon..cause I got some ideas on how to maximise your extraordinary "summary" skills to good use..hows abouts we get all those Coles Notes..and start a "Your ten minutes Guide to...Crime and Punishment, War & Peace, The Great Gatsby....yada yada yada...you get the speil?...come my friend..come...!!!

Kartel Records for Joe Flizzow said...

LOL!! My my, aren't wordy???? But seriously Jinggez (so you have another item when you google yourself), I find it truly amusing that you are citing all these characters with such vehemence, its almost as if you BELIEVE in them and their powers, butterfly and all. So Tolkien did something right at least. Your frustration and dissapointment in the characters for underperforming tells me you care for them. Kesian them la, they didn't grow up with much education in logic & sense nor did Tolkien I imagine.

Anonymous said...

gee... thanks ozi. since i am the last person standing that has not seen the trilogy (i know, i was in a cave then), you soooo have motivated me to spend 10 hours of my life through something that you actually make sense! ta, you are world!!

Ozi said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DONT TELL ME YOU HAVEN'T SEEN LORD OF THE RING.....

SERIOUSLY.... THATS NOT FUNNY.

THAT MUST BE ONE HELL OF A CAVE

Anonymous said...

it was indeed a mighty mighty big cave...

Anonymous said...

exactly, why they drag the movie out for that long is beyond me..
im guessing its all about the Benjamin's ;)

- t

Unknown said...

Maybe Gandalf is just lazy, check this list out

http://www.cracked.com/article_15952_7-most-powerful-wizards-too-lazy-use-their-powers.html

Ozi said...

thanks for that link Dimitry,
I agree he is one lazy SOB... but ultimately more stupid than lazy.

Anonymous said...

isk..isk..isk.. you really into that movie yek.. but then, adoii.. betul jugak.. terbang jer atau teleport..

Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken... the eagles chose not to cooperate at first.

 Does anyone still use this???   Seriously.....