Monday, April 16, 2007

My sister's room of death

Every so often I would venture into my sister's room just to see what she is up to. For me its like walking into some kind of alternate universe or some kind of twilight zone even. For starters, the room is not your typical square or rectangle in its layout. Its got a zig-zag wall on one side and french doors on the other. Quite bizarre if you ask me. As if that wasn't enough, her bed would sometimes be placed on an angle across the room, just to 'off set' things it seems. Oh my god, lets not forget the beads. Oh yes the beads. A curtain of Balinese ornamental jewels divides the room to create a 'walk in wardrobe' of sorts. An ode to 70's interior design? Perhaps, only my sister knows whats going on there.

"Get me out of here! "

Lets not forget the 'all-of-sudden-its-blue-its-green' bathroom, with a glass tabletop wash basin that has edges so sharp that one slip and you can kiss your wet naked life goodbye. Oh and recently the roof caved in from shoddy workmanship and heavy rain, that it now looks like it was designed that way to begin with. Oddly enough it now fits the whole warped feel of the bedroom. Yea!

Now for some reason, my sister does not strive to make the room comfortable for guests, the room is 'tuned' for her comfort, and rightly so I suppose, but come on. The room does not provide me with a feeling of chill. Maybe this is by design because she needs 'her space', like all Leos do. I can't even properly throw myself on the bed without a fear of breaking the one of a kind wire framed bed. She has satin-type sheets which makes the pillows swish and slide off the bed. This in turn, results in me not being able to lie down properly and place a pillow under my head without straining my neck as I try to 'grip' the pillow with my hair. I would of course sit on the near by dressing table chair but alas, its wooden, hard, and makes my ass feel like someone has been hitting it with a sledgehammer.
The room has four nuclear powered halogen lights that converge into one blinding spot on the bed, so even if you try to relax, it feels like you sunbathing. Beware to those wearing glasses, your eyeballs may spontaneously combust. The heat from the lights is conveniently mixed with lack of oxygen in the room. The lack of moving air is evident as there is no ceiling fan for those lazy Sunday afternoons. Prolonged conversations will cause light headiness and heart beat spasms. It feels like you are perpetually drowning. And God forbid you suggest to switch the air-conditioner on, that's not 'natural'.
When I complained to my sister about all of the above, she says, "Its like training yourself". An explanation that is so characteristic of her and her unique ways. It is simple yet deep in meaning. The room is like a one big 'only for me' domain and everyone else can keep the hell out. Or in this case me. I just can't help but feel that its all meant to be. She is definitely smarter than people give her credit for and like all Leo's, requires you to simply understand and allow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed not a friendly room....but u have to admit its the best lit room in the house man..

Anonymous said...

Very funny Ozi! It is training....for the times if ever you find yourself in lock-up.....you're sorted innit?!!! You're jealous that you can slide across my bed on my satin sheets as opposed to potentially breaking your back as you plonk down on your said "orthopedic" mattress. You're jealous of my magic glass beads hanging across the room dripping luminosity, you're jealous of my ceiling-less bathroom, you're jealous of my hard chair and air-less surroundings! The green eyed monster haunts thee!!! muahaaaaa! So I'll see you again next Sunday for another "chill out session"....maybe I'll consider a small fan....but its gotta be antique. And thank you Adam for appreciating my lighting efforts! Pfft!

Sasha Bashir said...

I have never seen Nini's room, but I'm sure I could appreciate it's aesthetics and ideologies! By the way, I think SHE is one of Malaysia's most stylish women and should be a model.... I have told her this MANY TIMES!

Ozi said...

I have informed my sister about your comments. And we have all suggested that she should be a model. She has done some modeling work. Telekom Malaysia and Rolex just to name a few. You can't tell her she is stylish enough.

Anonymous said...

air-less surroundings.. hnmm.. but its still cozy and has that Nini touch to it..and her bed's real comfortable..zzzzzzzzz
x trina

 Does anyone still use this???   Seriously.....