Wednesday, November 15, 2006

XBOX 360 or PS3?


And now I address the issue of XBOX 360 vs PS3. How to choose? Which is better?
Ok, before I say one more thing, you need to know that I just bought the XBOX 360. So what I'm about to say might be to ease the guilt in me and to somewhat justify my recent purchase. It seemed like the logical thing to do seeing as I already own the old XBOX of which I modified it with a 120Gig Hard Drive so I can store all my downloaded movies and stuff. What a wonderful thing the XBOX is.

What attracted me most about the XBOX 360, is the fact that you can play online with your friends on XBOX Live. Now granted, you need to pay a subcription. I think 50US a year is worth it, because you have access to all the latest demos and downloads Microsoft has to offer, plus live streaming media. Now this online component is where I feel that Microsoft has an edge over Sony. Sony has announced, they too will have online gameplay. We will have to see how good it will be.

The next attractive point is the fact that thx XBOX 360 can act as a Multimedia extender. A what extender? A Windows PC running Windows Media Center Edition 2005 can use the Xbox 360 as a "media extender," more commonly known as a media hub. Using the very nice remote control that comes with the 360, the console becomes a TV tuner, allowing gamers to watch, record and playback live TV. The Xbox 360 supports all the major DVR (digital video recorder) features found in so many products on the market-today (this is where the adjective Tivo-like could come into play). In extender mode, the 360 can even stream videos stored on networked computers.

The Xbox 360 also connects to portable devices, ranging from external hard drives to a wide variety of MP3 players, including iPods. All of the basic music navigation tools are available when playing back from these devices, including listings by Artist, Genre, etc. and access to any playlists that have been stored on the device. For music players such as iPod, which charge their internal batteries from USB connections, the Xbox 360 is happy to re-charge your portable device for you.

The PS3 on the other had has always been about a console for serious gamers. But what the hell does that mean anyway. Are you saying XBOX players are pussies? With all the hype about the technology behind the PS3 and Sony's new Blu-Ray Disc, expectations are very high. When the PS2 came out, it blew away the competition with its ground breaking graphics and advance hardware. Sony is looking to again do the same this time.

Now the PS3 has just been released in Japan, now I can tell you that, the queue to buy one was not that long. By no means was it sold out. People just aren't running out to get one just yet. The main reason being is price. The price is not attractive at all. It is three times the price of the XBOX with less additional bits like a headset. Then of course you have about 5 games to choose from one which is Ridge Racer, wow. Don't get me wrong, the teaser trailers for Devil May Cry and Grand Turismo looks mighty tasty, its just that for me, will it justify the price tag. I think we have to wait and see when the second batch of games are released, to know for sure if its the console of choice. Hardcore die-hard PS fans will disagree with me I'm sure.

Honestly, I don't know which is the better console. I'm sure if they were equally priced, the decision would be harder. I would have trouble choosing between the joy of playing Tiger Woods 2007 with my three friends online on XBOX or the joy of completing Metal Gear Solid on PS3. But for now, I think I made the right choice. XBOX is the one. For now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay okay....first of all.....tell me...how many GOOD/WORTH IT game titles are gonna be out on XBOX 360...umm HAlO...Gear of WAr...umm yeah thats about it la... no no...more simply....if you want just another 'pretty good' computer that can play games with wifi controllers the go ahead...buy an XBOX....but if you want a NEXT GENERATION gaming monster = PS3. enough said...

www.lucideas.com said...

I love the Sony Playstation 1 and 2 and by far it has whipped the xbox hands down. i also was conned into buying the first xbox which i can safely say was a "bad idea" for gaming. games were limited, and i used it more for streaming my downloaded movies from the net( hence my scepetism for xbox grew). The only thing that saved its ass was divx decoder, so at least not all was wasted.

Fast forward 2006, xbox 360 launched, responce was warm, and dare i say crap in Japan. i would have bet my life it was going to fail, as did its predecessor.(the lines for PS3 was far better than xbox 360) I've put off buying an xbox360 for almost one year, and was awaiting the PS3. and finally PS3 launched. and you're right jinggez the games right now are shit. It is technically a better system interms of hardwware, but where the xbox360 lacks in this dept, it makes up in xbox live. No Super Next gen graphics can beat hearing your buddies bitch online after you've chainsawed his face off in gears of war, or tigerwoods 07 or pingpong.

Ok fine i bought a xbox 360, whether i will regret it 6-7 months from now i don't know, but i must say i'm having more fun on this system than my pc,ps1&2 dreamcast,nintendo,battlefield 2 and 2142 combined. xboxLIVE is awesome! jump in.

Ozi said...

yeah man... Ben.. i fully agree with you.. if you are on XBOX live, what is your gamer tag..

ADD ME.. BiskutNaga of course

and if we end up playing together, it will be one more plus point for the XBOX 360. Enough said.

did you hear that Killer Kunji?

 Does anyone still use this???   Seriously.....